Tuesday, January 14, 2020

A Not So Brief Reflection on Postmodernism (I am feeling philosophical)

I am undergoing a wave of inspiration thanks to today's lesson on Postmodernism.

First of all, I am used to seeing artistic periods/movements from an outside perspective. In both my art history and Spanish literature classes, I am used to seeing expressionism, naturalism, or impressionism as things of the past, as I learn about their characteristics and the way people expressed themselves as well as the ideologies they held.

But looking at the present as an art period is a whole other situation. I am so used to what I see, that I never really think about it. We are just another blob on a timeline.

For the first time in history, we are overexposed to art in all of its forms. This is a dangerous thing.
The thing that hit me the most today as we discussed pastiche was: are we really any creative anymore????  you could be telling yourself you are producing something original, but you really don't know that.

I know this post is all over the place but I just want to have this moment documented somewhere.

Yejin mentioned the outsider art movement in class today. I looked it up. It's insane. Here's a few links because we love resources!!!!!

What is outsider art?
10 outsider and self-taught artists who use art to create their own worlds

I find it beautiful how individuals can develop their own definition of "raw" art, not influenced by any outside characteristics or movements.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa

art is insanely powerful and I cannot stop thinking about it

Consider this day the day that it hit me how important it is. Of course, I have always loved art. I am appreciative of aesthetics and profound meanings found within it. But I have never thought of the social aspects. The effects. THE POWER.

I love education so much.


I think I'm done for today I need to give my brain a break.


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment