Monday, February 24, 2020

Art as a form of overcoming (grandparents are the best)

WARNING: This gets personal

I don't even know if I should be writing about this over here. But I see this as part of my process. I also kinda have to vent.

Last class, Tina recommended a film called Honeyboy as a way of creating art to overcome certain events. This really stuck to me. Remember my idea about loss? Well...

I don't mean to get this any dark. I have never experienced loss, but I may be experiencing it soon. My grandmother, who I absolutely adore and consider one of my best friends, has had cancer for a few months already. My dad will be travelling to Peru tomorrow to say goodbye.

I have written many thing about her. Anytime I would have the opportunity, I would record voice memos of conversations I would have with her, so I can go back and listen to them whenever i wish to. To remember certain bits of wisdom I obtain from them. She often spoke about how her deepest wish was to be with my grandfather again, who passed away when my dad was 18 years old.

 (And also small debates. I had an argument with my other grandmother because according to her "it's the female's fault if the male were to sexually assault her because of what she's wearing" because it "CLEARLY" states it in the bible. That recording started off as something wholesome. We were both in the kitchen listening to her favorite songs while she drank wine, and it led to that. I love her but yikes.)

Loss. It's beyond anyone's ability to comprehend. I feel like if I make my short film about it, it would definitely provide me with a sense of self-discovery. I would create art to overcome loss.

I don't want anyone to believe I desire pity or anything. I want people to watch the film, have a good laugh, somehow relate to it, and feel touched. My goal is to make the most sincere piece I have ever made. This would definitely be something very personal to put out there, and I am also working with Mariana. So we would have to come up with something that we can both be really passionate about.

If you're reading this and still have your grandparents around, go ahead and smooch 'em. Give them a call, cook them dinner. Hugs! Give them hugs. Grandparents radiate a kind of warmth no other living soul could.

No comments:

Post a Comment