Thursday, February 27, 2020

Research is my BFF

So I don't know if i should be researching SHORT films only?? Or films in general?? I guess I could do a bit of both but I'm not really finding much on short films.

I think my genre might be coming of age (wow shocker). I just love coming of age and I am a sucker for anything coming of age. I breathe coming of age.

So far, my opening will consist of a monologue. Here are a few films I will use as inspiration.
All these films are very different examples of coming of age. What I love about this genre is that it doesn't necessarily follow a defined set of conventions like all of those Marvel movies do. Coming of age has a very versatile nature. They can have (this is very bland word use) happy or sad endings, characters of any background, a variety of themes, and take place anywhere and anytime. I will definitely fit my film inside the coming of age category, but it will have hints of dry comedy. 

Anyways, I specifically chose these films because they have great monologues and writing.

I am a huge fan of the opening monologue from Trainspotting, and I will definitely be using it as a great example of establishing the story.
Image result for trainspotting gif

Submarine has a great monologue right after the opening, where Oliver, the main character, imagines how would life go on if he died, which is actually hilarious. I absolutely adore the dry comedy elements of this movie. It is so touching yet so funny at the same time, which are two elements I really want to go for. This is probably my favorite film ever and I didn't realize how it was basically made for me until my boyfriend pointed it out the other day when I made him watch it:

  • It's an english film
  • The soundtrack is composed by Alex Turner, the lead singer of my favorite band ever
  • Dry humor *chef's kiss*
  • It's coming of age
  • The love interest has eczema (and I do too)

Image result for submarine film gif

And finally theres Amélie! Which is also my little cousin's name (fun fact). Amélie has a great opening sequence which consists of narration introducing the "creation" of the character. I also really like the very distinct aesthetics of this movie. The colors are beautiful.

Image result for amelie gif

So yes!! This is my inspo! I have already decided on the first line of my opening monologue:

"When I was 9 I hated death."

More on this on the next post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment